The first suggestion does work -- I've used it more than once in the past.
If it doesn't work for you, you're doing something wrong.  But the array
solution is better.

>  and the second
> may work - but the problem is I need the array to start at '1' - and
> arrays in general start at 0.

PHP arrays start wherever they start -- by default, if you don't specify
otherwise, they start at 0, but they can "start" with anything (e.g.
array('foo'=>'bar', 'plugh'=>'xyzzy') starts at 'foo') -- so if you want one
to start at 1 then just start it at 1.

Cheers!

Mike

Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]