While is is true that the opcodes cannot be run as machine code, the
opcode (bytecode) can be run on any machine which has the PHP engine (or
an opcode reader). Does Java not call itself a compiled language? If so
then the simple addition of PHP Accelerator, or Zend Accelerator should
be sufficient to call it a compiled language. Anyways I can't really say
for sure, traditional scripting languages didn't create such blurry
lines between compiled and interpreted :)

Cheers,
Rob.

--
| Worlds of Carnage - http://www.wocmud.org   |