* Thus wrote Robert Cummings ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> While is is true that the opcodes cannot be run as machine code, the
> opcode (bytecode) can be run on any machine which has the PHP engine (or
> an opcode reader). Does Java not call itself a compiled language? If so
> then the simple addition of PHP Accelerator, or Zend Accelerator should
> be sufficient to call it a compiled language. Anyways I can't really say
> for sure, traditional scripting languages didn't create such blurry
> lines between compiled and interpreted :)

Excellent point.  You can even generate bytecode for perl and
skip the parsing.  There is always that level from parsing ->
bytecode -> execution.

It all comes down to who is actually running the bytecode level, in
a compiled binary it is the OS that executes it otherwise its the
interpreter.

Curt
--
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."