I think you need to set the connection to nonblocking mode. Use
bool stream_set_blocking ( resource stream, int mode)
Then if no data is available for a longer time (it's up to you), you can break out of the loop and do something else.

Randy L Johnson Jr wrote:

I am running php as a client and I have the script running 24/7 to download
the data from the connection.  Is there a function to see if the connection
drops.    ??

is there a way to keep restart the function in the script.   perhaps use a
while and exit the function with a number exit(3) and use that value as the
condition in the while?

Randy

* Thus wrote Randy L Johnson Jr ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

I have done this but it does not seem to ever get to the end of file, I

have

it inserting the values into the database, it goes for awhile around 12 to

24 hours and then stops inserting the values into the database and I have

restart the script...

ah.. so it sound like the connection is dropping at some point thus

your socket becomes not usuable.

From my previous post you can use

http://php.net/stream_set_timeout

btw, any reason why your using pfsocketopen vs. just fsocketopen?

the pfsocketopen would be only needed if you plan on using that

socket on a different page request.

Come to think of it the pfsocketopen might even give you problems

even if you use the stream_set_timeout function.

HTH,

Curt

--

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

.