I've had this problem twice recently.

Once it was because I'd foolishly moved a script that used relative pathnames.
The result was that I was trying to access a file outside the DocumentRoot
and it didn't matter what the permissions on the file were, it wasn't trying
to open that one at all!

The other time is more confusing. I'd gone through all directory and file
ownerships and they were okay. In the end, in desperation, I chgrp'd the file
to be mine (leaving ownership alone) and it worked. This is on my list of
things to come back to!

HTH

Nick