Well there's clibpdf and pdflib, which you can get info from the PHP manual
for. Unfortunately, both are non-free. php.net/pdf and php.net/cpdf

If you would like a pure PHP (no extensions or recompiling required), I used
fpdf (fdpf.org) in a project a while back, and had positive results.

<plug type="shameless">
I've been talking to Michael Still, and he has agreed to release the next
version of Panda under the LGPL. I'd already written a PHP extension for
v0.53, but couldn't distribute due to licensing conflicts. According to
stillhq.com (Michael's web site), the next release of Panda is imminent. As
soon as he releases the new version, I'll update my extension and release it.
So if you can wait a while (couple weeks, maybe? depends on Michael), you'll
have a free (speech & beer) solution.

If you want, take a look at http://www.coeusgroup.com/panda All the licensing
probelms discussed there are resolved by Panda being LGPL'd, and the
extension will be released under the PHP license.
</plug>