Tim Thorburn wrote:

Normally to change a sites include directory for PHP I'd use a .htaccess file and the following command:

php_value include_path ".:/path/to/web/"

Again normally, I would get the path to the site by doing a simple phpinfo(); command and find the _ENV["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] line near the end of the phpinfo(); page.

I've just setup an account with a shared hosting provider - I'm not fully sure if they allow me to use .htaccess or not, I've got a call into tech support but waiting is boring. So while I wait - is there a better or more accurate way of determining the actual path to my site on their server? I'm sure it has been written into PHP to specifically not allow this - just curious.

You will be able to get it the same way. Just look at a phpinfo() page or print the value of $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].

Secondly, if it is proven that my host does not allow .htaccess - is there another way for me to change the include directory from its default and into my sites root?

You can use ini_set().

--
---John Holmes...

Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/