I have found something that seems to work:

<?php
header('Location: woof.html');
$h = apache_response_headers();
if(isset($h['Location'])){
    header('Location: moo.html');
}
die();
?>

Typical i get stuck on something for ages and then as soon as i post to the
list i figure something out :) oh well hope it helps somebody else.

:)