on Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:08:31 +0000 Curt Zirzow wrote:

>> I'm building up a site which should be german and english. So I have a
>> site object which remembers this choice during the session and do a
>>    include('lang_'.$site->lang.'.php');
>> in my topmost.php.
CZ> I would suggest using gettext it will make the application real
CZ> flexible. I havn't used it but from what I've seen it really is
CZ> simple to use. Plus it keeps your translations completely seperate
CZ> from your program.

CZ> http://php.net/manual/en/ref.gettext.php

Thanks for your suggestion. I looked around, but did not get it
working properly at first, because of strange behaviour of setlocale
and no documentation (just many different comments on php.net) what is
used to initialize gettext.

after some hours I'm down to this code:
   putenv('LANGUAGE='.$site->lang);
   bindtextdomain ("tqV2", "./locale");
   textdomain ("tqV2");

and it works.. :)

But the same performance question resists: should I put all strings in
one .po file or seperate them?

Regarding collecting of already entered strings: there exists a tool
called xgettext, which can parse the .php files and creates a .po file
with all strings, but I'm unable to find a port for win32.. :/

--
shinE!
http://www.thequod.de ICQ#152282665