On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:10:05 -0700
"Chris W. Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> - Edwin - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>     on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 7:00 PM said:
>
> > What exactly do you mean by "extended characters"? And, do you
> > mean all *other* characters are inserted properly? Anyway,...
>
> I just mean the characters that you can't type unless you do
> something like alt-250, alt-145, etc.

Hmm... these characters can be entered as &#250; (for alt-250) and
&#145; (for alt-145) and this has nothing to do with your DB being
able to handle Japanese characters...

> > If they're not "ujis" (for euc-jp), add this to your "my.cnf"
> > file:(Under [mysqld] and [client])
> >
> >   default-character-set = ujis
>
> I added that line to the [mysqld] section but there was no [client]
> section so i added the following.
>
> [client]
> default-character-set = ujis

That's correct.

> > Btw, check your php.ini as well and make sure that your settings
> > under [mbstring] are correct.
>
> Each line in the [mbstring] section was commented out. So I
> uncommented them. I also uncommented the mbstring extension.

Hmm... (sounds like you're on Windows) since I don't do Windows, I'm
not really sure if that will work. Under Linux, for example, the
extension should be compiled in... Anyway, just try it. If it doesn't
work, maybe you need to grab a copy of a "patched" or "compiled for
Japanese" version of php at http://www.php.gr.jp/project/i18n/ . (I
don't think this is necessary though...)

> I'm just about to restart both servers, so we'll see what happens.

Ok.

- E -