Wow!  I didn't know that.  I have been using apachectl restart all the time.
Now I feel better that this feature will allow Apache to be running until
people logged off of the website (by the mean of terminating the apache
connection)....

Thanks!!!

"Marek Kilimajer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
# apachectl graceful

snip from manpage:

        graceful    Gracefully restarts the Apache daemon by send­
                    ing it a SIGUSR1.  If the daemon is  not  run­
                    ning, it is started.  This differs from a nor­
                    mal restart in that currently open connections
                    are  not  aborted.   A side effect is that old
                    log files  will  not  be  closed  immediately.
                    This  means  that  if  used  in a log rotation
                    script, a substantial delay may  be  necessary
                    to  ensure  that  the old log files are closed
                    before processing them.  This command automat­
                    ically checks the configuration files via con­
                    figtest before initiating the restart to  make
                    sure Apache doesn't die.