Greetings to all. I am trying for the life of me to place a $_POST[] variable in my MySQL query. I am running the latest stable versions of PHP, MySQL and Apache 2 on my Win2kPro machine. My register_globals are set to off in my php.ini. My code I am attempting create is basically as follows:

$table="elements";
$sql="insert into $table set Name = '$elementName'";

This works with register_globals set to on. But, I want to be able to turn that off. My code then, I am guessing, be something as follows:

$table="elements";
$sql="insert into $table set Name = '$_POST["elementName"]'";

Unfortunately this and every other combination I can think of, combinations of quotes that is, does not work. I believe the source of the problem is the quotes within quotes within quotes. I also tried:

$sql='insert into $table set Name = '.$_POST["elementName"];
  or
$sql="insert into $table set Name = ".$_POST['elementName'];

and several other variations.

Can anyone give me some pointers to inserting $_POST[] statements inside of query statements? I am sure there must be a way but I have spent a lot of time on this and am really stumped here. Thanks for any help.

-Adam Reiswig

PS if anything here is not clear to you, please let me know and I'll clarify as I can. Thanks again.