If you have magic_quotes_gpc = On in your php.ini file, which it is by
default, does one still need to have the addslashes function in their
coding?

When I'm inserting into my database, I have addslashes in place, and I
haven't change the default value of magic_quotes_qpc = On. I havn't
seen any side effects from this. It seems like it's doing this job
twice.

Would any speed difference be seen by using / not using either of
these? I currently have 3 databases, roughtly 25 tables each, with
roughly 500 entries in each (growing about 50 daily), and it's
starting to get sluggish when I do a select * from tablename. I need
to recover all the speed I can.

If anyone has any other little tweaks I can do to gain performance,
that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jake McHenry
Nittany Travel MIS Coordinator