If you are doing both addslashes() and have magic_quotes_gpc turned on,
then yes, you are double-escaping things.

>From a performance-perspective I doubt you could measure much difference,
but I suppose doing it through magic_quotes_gpc would be faster assuming
you need to escape all your GPC data.  If you have a lot of GPC data that
doesn't need to be escaped, then only running addslashes() on the data
that needs it might be more efficient.

-Rasmus