PHP Gurus,
        Hello, I'm new to this list. I'm very much new to PHP, so my
questions will be very basic.
        I have two things I need to do in Japanese:

        1. Store people's names in kanji in my MySQL database.
        To this end, I've set up an INSERT command without doing
anything different than usual, and then at the HTML interface, just
typed in some Japanese text (on an English Windows XP machine, Opera
7.2, using Microsoft's global IME text entry). When I looked in my
database via phpMyAdmin, the field looked like it was filled with ASCII
gibberish.

        2. Send kanji text via PHPs mail() command.
        I've set up a form on a web page, that posts to a PHP script
that will send me feedback from the users. Again, I didn't set up
anything different than I would for English usage. When I received the
mail, it came out as ASCII gibberish again.

        I've searched some on the web, and in this lists archives, and I
understand that I can possibly use mbstring functions in order to
resolve this. However, the manual for this function on php.net is a
little beyond my ability to understand it. I'm confused by the need to
set "internal encoding", and/or also setting the "character set". My web
site is on a virtual host, and I don't know if I have access to make
such adjustments.

        Can someone please explain in beginners terms how do I set up my
PHP scripts to enter Japanese kanji safely into a database and into an
email?

--
Cheers!
Dave G