GoLive Gurus,

        The problem has been resolved. I now understand much better how
"while" loops operate, and fixed the problem of the script not parsing.
I am now successfully making mailing lists using PHP.
        While I was banging my head thinking there was something wrong
with how I was accessing the array variable, it turned out to be the
most simple thing. I had mistakenly placed a semi-colon at the end of my
while() command, and that was the root of my troubles. It never ceases
to amaze me how finding that one errant punctuation mark can be so
difficult and misleading!
        In any case, I very appreciative of the many valuable tips
offered, and I believe tightening up the code as suggested by people on
this list helped me see my script better and isolate the problem.
        Many thanks to David, Jay, Hanuska, Leif, and Teren for their
comments!

--
Cheers!
Dave G