On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:36:35 -0600
Eugene Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 02:20:00AM +0900, - Edwin - wrote:
> :
> : Besides, there are some issues (for example with
> Shift_JIS) that: "bothers" (with no easy "solution") even
> members of the Japanese PHP: Group ML.  (Like the recent
> thread [PHP-users 18803] on: http://www.php.gr.jp/ or
> about the : SJIS trouble.)
>
> Force the end-user not to use Shift-JIS.

Um, you don't have to do that since YOU as the programmer
decides what to use.

> It's a brain-dead
> format used only for internal processing purposes and not
> meant as a for-the-public encoding method.  Stick with
> something nice like normal JIS or Unicode.

"Brain-dead format" compared to JIS? Hehe, maybe you're
confused ;) Besides, I guess, more than half of Japanese
sites are written in shift_jis.

Result of a quick Google search:

  http://www.io.com/~kazushi/encoding/

Anyway, the easiest way (I find for now) when working with
PHP and Databases (MySQL, etc.) is to use "euc-jp". There are
times though that you are "forced" to use "shift_jis" e.g.
when working with sites for i-mode's browsers. If that's the
case, just use the mb_* functions to convert from euc-jp to
shift_jis...

- E -