On 2003.11.8, at 21:51 Asia/Tokyo, Dave G wrote:

        In hopes of bringing the kanji character validation issue back
on topic, can I point out that it doesn't matter *why* someone would
want to do this, or what the origins of kanji and kana are? The
motivations of the original poster shouldn't be in question. Everyone
has their own situations and goals, and what's not important to one
person is important to others. Either what they are asking for is
possible or not, and if it is, it would be enlightening to know how.

I think it'd be scary if there's a certain doctor who'd give you a medicine just because you said you have a headache. I'm sure a good doctor would ask questions to diagnose what may be causing it. He might even send you home without giving you any medicine. Don't be surprised if your headache is gone the next morning.

        I for one am also very interested in hearing possible solutions.
I can think of multiple situations in which checking to see whether a
user inputted kanji or kana would be very useful indeed.

Like for example?

And I hope to
learn more by further discussion of the PHP coding required. It would be
a shame if that potential learning was obscured or lost in off topic
theorizing about the origins of the Japanese language.

First, I'm not theorizing. They're written in history books.

Optimistically looking forward to seeing more technical discussion on
how to accomplish this.

Secondly, didn't I mention that this was recently brought up in the Japanese PHP Group ML? And there's really NO easy solution for this?

http://ns1.php.gr.jp/pipermail/php-users/2003-October/019236.html

In fact, that "problem" is already an FAQ in that ML--and other MLs as
well since "the need" is not limited to PHP programmers only.

- E -