Greetings!

I'm writing a script that downloads a tarball from an FTP server and unpacks it into a directory. Here's the line of code that does this.

exec("tar -C /scripts/ -zxv --preserve-permissions -f " . "/scripts/mailfiles.tar.gz") or die('Tar failed!');

My problem is that the files' ownership is changed when the tarball is unpacked. I'm executing the script from a web browser and Apache is running as the user "apache" so the files are unpacked and ownership given to the user apache. How can I make it so the files will keep the original ownerships? This is important because the files are mail files and the script is used to restore the mail files from backup so the users can access them.

Thanks!
Rod