Nigel Jones wrote:
> I think if you are using the Unix Tar Version you can do tar
> -C /scripts/ -zxv -f  ./scripts/mailfiles.tar.gz
> --owner=REPLACEME --group=REPLACEME

I sure hope this is NOT possible, since it would be a major security
problem. Think for example in terms of the php safe_mode. When you'd do
this, you would be able to create files as any user thinkable, and thus well
.. Need I go any further.

Knowing that 'chown' only lets you change the 'group' part of the ownership
to a group you actually belong to FROM files that are owned by yourself and
I think even the group part has to mach too.