Your steps look ok.  Try a "make clean" and rebuild your mysql.so and see
if that fixes it.  If not, consider just compiling it in statically.  Do
you have a requirement for a shared mysql.so for some reason?

Also, note that Apache 2.x + PHP is still not a recommended platform for
PHP.  If you use a threaded mpm (anything but the prefork mpm) you are
likely to run into issues under load.  We still suggest using
Apache-1.3.29 for any sort of stable production server.  The fact that
Redhat has decided to ship an unstable combination of software doesn't
mean that suddenly all threading problems have magically gone away.

-Rasmus