Thank you! :)

Doing a "make clean" solved the problem and now
everything works. Re using Apache 2.x, yes I was
just using this because it was what came with
RH Linux 8.0 and 9.0. It is not a commercial
server. However I will look into using 1.3.29.
This was my first attempt at building Apache,
PHP, etc. so am still learning. :)

Thanks again!,

lk