It's been a while since I posted here but here I am so yay...I guess..

Anyway, I came to ask for some ideas if you will. I'm interested in starting
a new PHP project to distribute for free, just to spend my time doing
something. I've been doing some research to find out what to do but I can't
really find much.

What I want to do is get into a category market that is somewhat new but
expected to grow very large. An example of what I mean is something like
phpBB.

Back in the day, large websites ran forums, and then people wanted to start
there own, so they searched and found nothing. Then phpBB came out and
people started hosting their own, so naturally phpBB is one of the leading
free forums that you can host yourself now, along with invision and
vbulletin.

The most I could find through my research was blogs, web rings, and match
making services. I've never used any of these though so I don't have any
idea what features I should put it. I'd probably do some research on them if
I ever do decide to make them though.

Basically, what I'm asking is, what have you seen at big time websites that
you want to host yourself but can't find a script for (or you've found a
script but it could really use improvement or some competition, so we don't
get a monopoly :-))? Any help would be very...helpful. Thanks for your time!
:-)

Thanks,

Stephen Craton

http://www.melchior.us