Daryl, et al --

...and then Daryl Meese said...
%
% Hello all,

Hi!

%
% I am considering changing hosting providers and moving from FreeBSD to
% Linux.

Because that's what the hosting provider you have in mind runs or because
you want to go with Linux?

%
% My question is are there any PHP related issues to moving (functions that
% don't work on Linux but do on FreeBSD, etc)?

I haven't had any problems.  I host my sites on FreeBSD 4.5 and 4.8 and
develop on Linux (SuSE 8.1 and 9.0 and an LFS homebrew box).  I did
another project for a guy hosting Linux here at the same ISP.  Everything
has been peachy.

%
% I doubt there are but have to cover the bases.

Good for you :-)  Of course, you won't really know until you run your
code on the new platform!

%
% Also, if you got any suggestions for hosts with solid dedicated server plans
% I would appreciate replies of the list.

I host at DataPipe and absolutely love them.  I've pushed their UNIX
techs pretty hard (my FreeBSD boxes have a pretty involved PHP build,
while the Linux box needed some custom disk layout for mail tuning) and
they've kept up well.  They do everything from shared to dedicated and
their prices are pretty good -- and I've seen them match, too.

Yes, I sometimes can talk them into a free month for my cheapest server
if I send them a new customer, so if you do go to them I'd appreciate
your telling Don in sales that I sent you, but you don't have to and I
don't get anything else in any case :-)

%
% Thanks,
%
%
% Daryl Meese

HTH & HAND & Happy hunting :-)

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"