On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:15:35PM -0500, John W. Holmes wrote:
>>2. Store both the plain (shorthand HTML) text and parsed XHTML
>>versions
>>of each field -- the problem with this being that i'm storing double
>>the data in the database... combine this with versioning of each
>>'page', and I'm going to be storing a LOT of data in the DB.
<snip>
> >4. Store the plain (shorthand HTML) text and when users 'save' changes,
> >generate a static page containing the transformed XHTML version.  You
> >will have the processing overhead once (when data is changed), and
> >everytime else visitors get static files.
>
> Isn't that just an alternate version of #2? You're still duplicating the
> data and taking up storage space. Again, I wouldn't really be worried
> about this, but that's the issue presented in #2. Sure, static files
> would probably be faster, but that doesn't answer the issue of when/how
> to do the conversion.

Version #2 involved an identical database structure, or multiple
database fields, or some sort of redundant data storage that mirrors the
HTML database structure.  The bigger problem to me seemed to be the
complexity introduced into the database, not the extra storage space
required.

This solves the script run problem (only runs once), and lets the
database remain as originally planned.

The point is that the XHTML version is only necessary for display on the
finished webpage, and the simple HTML version is only necessary for
editing in the administrative interface.  Publishing static XHTML files
eliminates the need to do database interactivity on each page request
(after all, the content isn't going to change with each request, is it?)
and keeping the HTML in the database lets the admin. interface be as
interactive and dynamic as is necessary.

Just my $.02, though -- I'm not going to have to end up maintaining
this, so the best answer is the one that works the best for the OP.

joel

--
[ joel boonstra | gospelcom.net ]