> So the current situation is that Apache2-prefork+PHP is a decent solution
> but it hasn't been tested a whole lot.

I am currently moving my app to an Apache 2 server.  I did not build
the server (not my area of expertise) and don't know how how it was
built, but I can talk to the folks who did it and find out.  It was
their choice to go to Apache 2, but I still have time to get them to go
back if need be.  I'd like to understand the recommendations more
clearly.

Are there configurations of Apache 2 that are OK with PHP?  The above
suggests prefork hasn't been tested but the remainder of your message
suggests multithreading (which is different from prefork as I read the
Apache docs -- right?) is even more problematic.  It sounds like this
is what's behind the recommendation at
http://us2.php.net/install.apache2 which says  "Do not use Apache 2.0
and PHP in a production environment neither on Unix nor on Windows."
But the same page says "The following versions of PHP are known to work
with the most recent version of Apache 2.0:", so I'm not quite clear on
what's being recommended.

FWIW httpd-l on the new server shows:

Compiled in modules:
  core.c