Hi Manuel,

El mar, 30-03-2004 a las 18:11, Manuel Lemos escribió:
> > This might work... I gues that any web server to make advantage of the
> > new kernel 2.6 has to make explicit use of the sendfile() system call.
> > I know for sure that boa does it.  I don't know about thttpd or apache2.
>
> Honestly I think your are crazy to start using such early versions of
> Linux 2.6. It is very likely that it is still buggy and prone to
> security holes that were not yet found and fixed. In general it is a
> very bad idea to be an early adopter of the first releases of a new
> software version. If I were you I would be patient and would probably
> give it a year before start using Linux 2.6 in critical production
> environments.

Well... I'm not crazy, really  :-).  MDK 10 features a 2.6.3 kernel and
it is much more stable than 2.4.3 was for example.

In fact, from all distros I've ever tried, this one is the less
problematic (if you can call it problematic).  Not a single issue with
the installation and configuration of the server.  The only problem I
had was that mounting a CD from the desktop wasn't working properly out
of the box but it was fairly easy to fix.

The single seriuos problem I have left to solve is with the NIC
interface, I suspect it is working Half Duplex and mii-tool doesn't seem
to work.

OTOH, You might be right about security holes but the server is working
in an intranet so it is way less risky than the internet.

-William