Ok, so it took some tracking, but I believe I have found the problem.  The
problem was with the putenvs conflicting with mod_perl.  The full rundown
is from an old php-install post.  See it at

http://www.phpbuilder.com/lists/php-install/2003092/0018.php

The summary is mod_perl and PHP on my system were not playing together
nicely in a threaded enviroment.

I recompiled perl from the SRPM with the -Accflags=-DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV
hacked into the spec file.  After installing that new RPM and recompiling
mod_perl then apache, my PHP install has not crashed since then and I have
been hammering it pretty hard.  Good Times. :)

Thanks for tips Rasmus, it sent me in the right direction!

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Schaab
http://madweb.org           http://madtown.cc

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny"
   -- Isaac Asimov