I tell you the truth. I have only 1 php.ini. There are other ini files I
have looked at but I have not found anything in them about safe mode.
Everything has been double or triple checked. Still not able run any
shell_exec commands from the command line.

I need the output from free so if I use exec()

<?php
exec("free -b", $data, $result);
$data = str_replace('  ',' ',$data);
$data = str_replace('  ',' ',$data);
$data = str_replace('  ',' ',$data);
$data = str_replace('  ',' ',$data);
$dataArray = explode(' ',$data);
$total = $dataArray[16];
$used = $dataArray[17];
echo $used.chr(10);
echo $total.chr(10);
?>

Exec complains that "free" is not in /usr/local/php/bin/ directory. ( I
think that's the directory but whatever it was, it wasn't pointing at the
web directory where my script is.) Really someone should try this script.
It's harmless. 'Free' is a nix command.

And BTW

[snip from original]
> Warning: shell_exec(): Cannot execute using backquotes in Safe Mode in
> /var/www/html/swap/mem.php on line 3
[/snip]

Is how that line should read. The complaint is about the script I an\m
running called mem.php. Originally named swap.php.  I wasn't paying close
enough attention when I cut from the bugs.php.net page and pasted. :)