> I am trying to use fewer resources and processes when making database
> connections in my scripts, so, upon the first call to make a DB connection,
> I store the Link Resource ID in a constant variable that can be accessed by
> all other functions that need a DB connection, like this...

>     function connect_db() {

>     if (!defined('_CONNECT_DB')) {

>         $result = @mysql_pconnect("localhost", "Username", "Password");
>         @mysql_select_db("database_name");
>         define('_CONNECT_DB', $result);
>     }
>     return _CONNECT_DB;

<snipped>

From: http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.constants.php

Only scalar data (boolean, integer, float and string) can be contained
in constants.

somewhere in the manual it is said that while a resource or link or
some such identifier might look like an integer, it actually isn't.
So by extension it is not a scalar value and thus cannot be stored via
the means of a define().
Use a 'normal' variable instead.

Richard