You are correct, but I believe the bandwidth savings is small.

What I usually do for my apps is allow the admin to configure whitespace trimming. If configured, I only remove whitespace from the beginning of the line to the first non-whitespace character. This reduces the code size somewhat, while still leaving the HTML human-readable (newlines are intact).

cheers,

Travis

Arthur Radulescu wrote:
What I meant was that it is obiously that eliminating the spaces but not by
a blind replacement, the new lines characters and even the tabs will reduce
the size of the page which will result in a faster loading and less
bandwidth consumed... And the example was google... Am I wrong with anything
here?

[snip]
PHP is one thing and HTML is another thing.. Check the google source
code
and you'll that this is how they have it... I assume the reason is to
reduce
the size of the page...
[snip]

Your assumption about Google would be incorrect, it has nothing to do
with page size as most of their pages are predominately text.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#whitespace for a more
detailed dissertation on white space in HTML.

-- Travis Low <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.dawnstar.com>