> > Don't take the database down for backups.
> >
> > I can think of no logical reason why you'd want to kill the DB to back
> > it up, since it's just a big "read" operation.
>
> Referential integrity might be a reason.

Good point, though if this is a concern, the OP will probably use the
built-in enforcement of referential integrity and transaction support of
whatever database they are running.

*cough* postgresql ;)

> However, I agree -- don't back up the database directly -- use whatever
> utilities the database provides to dump the database, then back up the
> dump.  Depending on how well the dump utility works, you might be able
> to do away with the downtime.

mysql has mysqldump, and postgresql has pg_dump. Both of these are pretty
much all you'd need, and neither requires any site downtime.