Caleb Walker wrote:

I have 2 servers fail-over/load-balanced behind an F5
bigIP.  I want session data to be maintained in the event one server takes
a dive.  In this scenario, if a user is in the middle of doing
something while logged in, they will not have to lose all work and log
back into the server to continue working. Can that be done without
rewriting an application?
I saw a link here:
http://www.phpfreaks.com/quickcode/DB_eSession_class_securely_stores_PHP_sessions_in_a_MySQL_DB/286.php
but this seems to be something that would have to be written into the
application and I didn't write it and do not want to take on the
responsibility to do so from here.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
Caleb

Yes, you can use a database to store session data and retain existing session manipulation methods. Surprisingly, the PHP manual tells you how:

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.session-set-save-handler.php

And lists a couple of examples, including this one at Zend:

http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/code-gallery-wade8.php

Mike