When Expedia.com is searching for flights, it displays a page with a little animated GIF progress bar, then display the results.

How do they do that? How does the page sit idle until the query is finished, and then sends a new page with the results? I was thinking that they might use HTTP-REFRESH or something, and just keep hitting the database until the result is there. But is there a "best way" to do this? In my application, when the user clicks a certain button, it will take 10-20 seconds for the operation to complete—during that time I need the web browser to "waiit" for the data.

I looked around for an article on this, but I'm not sure how to characterize this operation.

...Rene