* Thus wrote Chris Wagner:
> hello,
>
> wondering how you might go about triggering PHP scripts from an apache
> configuration file, for certain events...

This would be more of an apache question. As far as I know you
can't do such a thing.

> for instance, how might i trigger a script whenever a file was accessed
> within a given directory.  and, would it be possible to know which file
> was accessed?

via the log files.

> if the above is possible, could you also trigger different scripts for
> when a "file download begins" and when a "file download finishes"?

Downloading is a relative term. If you mean server -> client then
a php script can easily handle such a thing.

Curt
--
First, let me assure you that this is not one of those shady pyramid schemes
you've been hearing about.  No, sir.  Our model is the trapezoid!