This is what I'd do:

  $sql = "SELECT disinct category FROM article ORDER BY category";
  $r = mysql_query($sql);
  while($cat = mysql_fetch_array($r))
  {
    $id = $cat['id'];
        $sql = "SELECT * FROM article WHERE category='$id'";
        $x = mysql_query($sql);
        while($row = mysql_fetch_array($x))
        {
          // echo articles here

The permanent solution is to make a separate table called "categories" and then
do a join on the categoryID from the two tables.

--Joe

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 10:33:11PM +1000, Mark Bayfield wrote:
> I am trying to make a catagory list that displays a distinct catagory, and
> then listing titles under that catagory.
> Unfortunatly all the data is in one table, and the catagory field is not set
> catagories, so there is duplicates in that field.
> The code so far is (but I am probably going about it the wrong way, if you
> can see whats wrong with my code plase help, or point me in some direction),
>
>  $query = mysql_query("SELECT DISTINCT catagory from article order by
> catagory");
>  $query2 = mysql_query ("SELECT * from article ORDER BY catagory");
>
>  for ($index = 0; $index < mysql_num_rows($query); $index++) {
>   $Catagory = mysql_fetch_row ($query) or die (mysql_error());
>   $name1 =  mysql_fetch_row ($query2) or die (mysql_error());
>   $x = $name1;
>   $result1 = array_unique($Catagory);
>   $result = array_merge($Catagory, $name1);
>
>    print ("$result1[0]<BR>");
>    for ($x=0; $x == $result1[0]; $x++) {
>    print ("&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a
> href='update.php?passed=$name1[0]'>$name1[2]</a><br>\n");
>    }
>      }
>
> I am trying everything to get it do just print the following:
>
> Catagory
>     title1
>     title2
> Catagory1
>     title3
>     title4
>
> Please help me out....
>
> thanks

 *                    Joe Stump - PHP/SQL/HTML Developer                      *
 * http://www.care2.com - http://www.miester.org - http://gtk.php-coder.net   *
 * "Better to double your money on mediocrity than lose it all on a dream."   *