When a user first comes to my site, the user's session id is checked and
validated. If no session id is present or the validation fails, the user is
vectored to a second page containing a login form.  When the user enters the
username and password and then clicks the submit button the info is
forwarded to a third page, a php script, validate_member_login.php, that
checks the username and password against a database.  Just for completeness,
note that the php script, validate_member_login.php, is invoked via login
form's action parameter, i.e.,

        <form action="validate_member_login.php" ... />

The problem is that the php script, validate_member_login.php, is displayed
in the browser rather than being executed.

This is my first attempt at designing a dynamic web site so I'm sure I've
missed something really basic, but I have hardly any hair left to pull out.

Thanks, in advance,

Michael