"Jon Jacob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I hope this is not off topic, but I need to ask a general audience this
> question and this seems like the right group.
>
> I have been out of work for two months and I am not sure why.  I am a
> talented web programmer with three years experience, strong Perl,
> JavaScript, CGI, and HTML skills and a great work ethic.

You, and thousands of others looking for work right now. These skills are
the bare minimum, in my opinion.

> I have been offered a job (which I turned down)

Well, that's a reason you're still out of work.

> ...but nothing desirable has come my
> way.  I know the economy is slow, but I am shocked that I am out of work
> for this long.  Are others experiencing this, or is it just me?

Many others.

> I live in Portland, OR which is not the center of the tech universe but
> has strong tech companies nonetheless.

Are there any strong tech companies left?  ;-)

> I am just confused and am
> wondering if it is something I am doing or something that is being done
> to me.  If the later, I can wait it out, but I just wanted to know if
> anyone in my silimiar situation was experiencing something the same and
> had any insight to share.
>
> I apologize for the vent, but it is starting to become frustrating and
> confusing.

Follow natter's advice and learn SQL. Simple web programming isn't enough to
get you hired anywhere at this time.

-david