ADFH wrote:
How are you trying to import it? Command line MySQL? PHPMyAdmin? Something else?

command line (have SSH/SCP/SFTP access)

mysql dbname < dumpname.sql
(u/p in ~/.my.cnf, 0600)

How big is the dump file? Greater than two megs?

11M Jul 28 12:57 200405009-025130.sql 21M Jul 29 23:19 20040509-clean.sql 30K Jul 29 12:10 freshdb.sql

11MB for the initial dump
21MB for non-optimised dump from same DB tested as working, redumped
     from other system

Ie. I imported it into another system, fixed a few things like missing
    themes, and re-dumped it.

Well, that eliminates the first thought I had. Things like phpMyAdmin have problems with dump files greater than 2mb's (sometimes even if you set the file upload size and timeout higher on PHP).

Can you verify that the data is actually in the db?

Also, you may want to try importing the dump and not relying on your MySQL configuration file....

mysql --user=<username> -p dbname < dumpname.sql

--
By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush