From: Support [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 10:11 PM
To: Will Collins; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Upgrade PHP?

I've dealt with a similar problem with Mandrake. Some distros have their own
idea of where things should go. I prefer to install major applications like
apache, perl, mysql, php myself and never install from rpm or accept default
distro packages when installing an os from scratch.

IMHO: Although handy for some things, I still can't figure out why people
put up with rpms. :-)

What I finally did is use rpm to uninstall php, apache, and mysql. I also
followed dependencies and deleted them as well.

This approach is not really a great idea if you're not used to building from
source, but I have my own idea of where I like things to go so this works
for me. Usually /usr/local is a good choice for installing.

Since mysql and apache both come with their own start up scripts using
chckconfig to add them to the system is about as easy as it gets.

Jim Grill
Web-1 Hosting
http://www.web-1hosting.net