[snip]
I am having a periodic problem that I cannot duplicate and wonder if
anyone has suggestions.

Once a sale is completed a record is written to a log file on the
server.

$filename = $dir. "/". $logType."_".$today.".txt";
$fp = fopen("$filename", "a+");
fputs($fp, $logEntryStr);
fclose($fp);

The file is chmoded to 644.

About 3 out of 600 times, the log file is not written to.  The times
of day this happens are not consistent, and as I mentioned, I cannot
duplicate it when testing. I initially thought it was some kind of
error on the server, but I am beginning to think it is in my code.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any suggestions for
how to troubleshoot this?
[/snip]

How do you know that it is not being written to? Do the transactions
show up in a database or some other form? Is it possible to have
duplicate log entries? What is $today, a date stamp, time date stamp,
epoch time stamp?