I am extracting text from a text datatype field of a
database.  The target text is marked (beginning and
end) by html comments that have a known--but not
uniform--format.  Unfortunately, the web-based
interface used to maintain the data inserted hard line
breaks in the text.

I initially tried removing all NL and CR chars from
the string, which has the unanticipated result of
removing some spaces between words that had wrapped in
the admin interface.

Now, I need to remove all NL and CR that occur within
a string starting with "<!-" and ending with "->".  I
have no idea where to start, because the NL and CR
could also occur in the strings that mark the start
and end of the comments.

I am very new to regex, but starting to get it.  If
someone could just give me a push in the right
direction.  Nothing I have tested in regex coach comes
close to matching what I need.

Kathleen