I posted a simular question before and never really got an answer.  The post
drifted off into some other valuable information, but I still have the same
question.

I am trying to create a site with file downloads.  The files on the server
that are to be downloaded need to be protected somehow.  I have already
created a login page for the site so users must log in.  The download files
are in a directory protected by htaccess which it is my understanding that
PHP can go underneath htaccess to get access to the files.  My problem is
where do I put this directory?  I was already told to put it outside the web
root directory, but I really dont know where the best place is.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Aaron