Geoff Caplan wrote:
> Michael Sims wrote:
>> IMHO what you have described is a bug in PHP, and if I were you,
>> I'd report it as such.  If it's not a bug it at least has a very
>> high WTF factor.
>
> Problem with reporting is that I am using Debian Test and the current
> PHP version is too old to report. If someone with an current PHP
> version could replicate the problem, let me know and I will report it.
> Here is the code:
[snip]

I've replicated it in version 4.3.8, as well as five other previous versions
(I always keep my build directories around for a while on my development
server.)

Here's a suggestion so that you don't have to depend on other people to
reproduce it for you (and in case one of the PHP maintainers asks you to try
a snapshot):

Download the PHP tarball you want to test with (4.3.8 or snapshot or
whatever) and extract it in your home directory, then configure it and run
"make".  Then create your test script as a CLI script and make the shebang
line:

#!/home/<your-home-dir>/php-<version>/sapi/cli/php

This allows you to test with whatever version you wish without having to
actually install it.  FWIW...