Doug,

DK> SimpleTest's WebTester package is definitely an acceptance/functional
DK> testing framework. If you'd prefer not to specify your test's in PHP you
DK> could look at something like Canoo WebTest which uses XML.

Apologies: I had overlooked the WebTester functionality within
SimpleTest. I'll check it out in more detail.

DK> If you can elaborate on what SimpleTest is lacking I might be able to
DK> point you in another direction.

I'm fairly new to this field, so I'm still feeling my way, but I guess
my requirements are similar to anyone else building a fairly complex
ecommerce application: fill and submit forms using the full range of
HTML widgets, submit and check cookies, gets and posts, check changes
to data (in Postgres), check for patterns in pages, organise groups of
related tests, follow redirects etc etc. The requirement to run checks
on the database suggests that a server-side solution would be the way
to go.

Obviously, a key issue is keeping the tests robust in the face of
changes to the application. I need to be able to change a link label,
for example, without breaking the test-suite.

I am trying to avoid anything that requires a complex Java setup or
Eclipse: I don't have the relevant skills. The best options I have
found so far, in addition to SimpleTest, are:

**Puffin** Pure Python framework, so easy to extend (I know a bit of
Python). Looks very powerful, but not much current activity and
documentation is minimal:

http://www.puffinhome.org/what.htm

**Canoo** Which you obviously know.

http://webtest.canoo.com/webtest/manual/WebTestHome.html

**TestCase**, which looks powerful - but requires that you model the
whole site in UML, which is not the way I prefer to work:

http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~webtest/testcasetool/index.html

Is there anything I have overlooked?

The problem I am facing is that it will take a few days to do a full
evaluation of the options and I am pressed for time. Any advice that
you could offer that would help accelerate the process would be most
welcome...