next time, please read the isset documentation carefully. I quote:
[quote]isset() will return FALSE if testing a variable that has been set to NULL.[/quote]

Catalin Trifu wrote:
        Hi,

    Is this really a bug. I think not.
    There is no variable $o->a or $a->b in the class OO
there is only the variable $elem and $a and $b is a member
of that array
    So ...
    The fact that PHP5 provides __set and __get magic
functions does not mean that the actual variables exist with
that particular name in the class ?
    Perhaps it would be nice to have a __isset magic function ?

Cheers
Catalin

<?php

class OO
{
private $elem = array("a" => 1);

public function __get ($prop)
{
if (isset($this->elem[$prop])) {
return $this->elem[$prop];
} else {
return NULL;

public function __set ($prop, $val)
{
$this->elem[$prop] = $val;

$o = new OO();

echo isset($o->a) ? "yes\n" : "no\n";
echo isset($o->b) ? "yes\n" : "no\n";

echo is_null($o->a) ? "yes\n" : "no\n";
echo is_null($o->b) ? "yes\n" : "no\n";

?>

I expected something like this:

yes
no
no
yes

But got this:

no
no
no
yes

It looks like isset() can't handle object properties correctly. I'll post the bug on php.net.

--
Daniel Schierbeck