At 00:26 5/4/2001 -0500, Plutarck wrote:
>http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.outcontrol.php
>
>If you want to use output buffering you must use the ob_* family of
>functions.
>
>In any script where you want it used you _must_ use it explicitly, or so do
>in an included file. Unless you can change the php.ini, there is no way to
>force all pages to use output buffering. I don't reccommend you do such a
>thing anyway.
>
>If you aren't using output compression all it does is allow bad programming
>practices. One exception is for hosting companies that want to force ads to
>be displayed on the page with the auto_prepend type settings.
>

>Output buffering should only be used if you have a specific reason for doing
>so. Kind of like all PHP functions :)
>
>It doesn't cost much in performance except when a script pumps out a very
>large amount of data. If you want to print a 10mb text file to the browser
>it is a considerably _BAD_ idea to force PHP to buffer that all up into one
>chunk before puking it out.
>

>But, enter the gz_handler functions. If you want to compress your output,
>then you have a reason for using output buffering. The cost in performance
>varies widely, but if your server is already under a considerable load you
>probably shouldn't use it.
>
>But it's very cool to use if you have the extra processor power, but wait
>for 4.0.5 to do it. Many people complain about memory leaks and sub-standard
>output buffering functions. It's supposed to all be fixed in the new
>version, so feel free to play around with it :)
>
>Still, it's better to be able to set it only in the places you want it run
>rather than making all output use it.

exactly... I don't want to set this option to an entire site just because
of one little script I'm having trouble setting a header() or
setcookie()... and I wanna use them in the middle of the output...
something like ASP's <% response.flush=true %>, it can be set anywhere u
want...
but of course... the best way is to code right and not to mess with headers
once the output has started... but sometimes I wish I could, u know? It
would really make somethings a lot simpler...