Hello,

On 11/13/2004 04:12 AM, Curt Zirzow wrote:
Im using the php mail() function to try send an email to a user that has
just registered.

mail($HTTP_POST_VARS['emailaddress1'], 'Matchmakers Website Registration' ,
'Welcome');

But when I get the following error back.:
Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Can someone help me out, by telling me what it means or what Im doing wrong?

(Thank you Jason for the introduction! :-)

That means your SMTP server requires authentication to relay messages. The mail function does not support SMTP authentication.

for the record.. and to not mislead several people.. 550 simply
means the message was not accepted. There are several other reasons
why this will happen. The text after the 550 usually signifies what
exactly the problem is.

Yes, but 550 with the text in front of "5.7.1 Unable to relay for [EMAIL PROTECTED]" is a common message presented by servers that only relay with prior authentication. If you had enough real world experience with SMTP servers you would know that.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/