Donald Tyler wrote:
I am looking for a guide on compiling PHP 4. I am a complete newbie to compiling and have no idea where to start, so any links to guides and/or other useful info would be much appreciated.

PHP is a scripting language, no need to compile it.

If you're really new, 2 links from the PHP home page

A simple tutorial
http://www.php.net/tut.php

PHP Documentation
http://www.php.net/docs.php

If you mean compiling php itself (not a php script written in PHP),
then go read the PHP manual:

II. Installation and Configuration
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.php

My reason is that I need MySQL 4 support,

Just check the manual. MySQL functions can be used within PHP, with the mysql or mysqli extensions (see links below).

Under Linux, it comes in packages like mysql-server, php4, php4-mysql, etc
and you can simply install these packages.

LXX. MySQL Functions
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php

"In PHP 5, MySQL is no longer enabled by default, nor is the MySQL library
 bundled with PHP. Read this FAQ
 http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.databases.php#faq.databases.mysql.php5
 for details on why."

LXXI. Improved MySQL Extension, PHP Manual
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysqli.php

"The mysqli extension allows you to access the functionality provided by MySQL 4.1
and above"

but I would like to get a general overview of compiling a program source in general.

On Unix/Linux like systems, it's something like

$ tar xzf soft-1.0.tar.gz
$ cd soft-1.0
$ ./configure
$ make