v0id null wrote:
So, I have to handle data that is UTF-16 encoded. No ifs ands or buts.
Network messages on the service I'm communicating with sends and
recieves UTF-16 encoded strings only.

After taking a look at the Multibyte String functions, I don't know
how much they will help me, though character encoding is a bit beyond
me (For now). So what simple way is there to take a UTF-16 message and
read it, analyze it, get information from it?

multibyte string functions will help you. just use them. You can then use iconv or recode functions to get the encoding you need to display them.